IBM Technical Disclosure Bulletin
English (United States)
8 pages / 91.7 KB
IBM Standard Software Installer (ISSI)
ISSI is the deployment of a single software delivery process that minimizes the number of software delivery tools and processes required to support standard client platforms across the enterprise including all geographies and business divisions. The web based software delivery solution allows end users to install client software without the assistance of costly deskside service. This advances a corporate strategy of client standardization.
The IBM Standard Software Installer (ISSI) process allows users to easily install supported releases of standard client and application software in a timely fashion. The ISSI application process is composed of a single corporate wide web master server. This web master server provides a software catalog to the user so that end users can 'shop' for software to be installed on their workstations. Once software is selected, the web application performs the functions needed to redirect the user to a software image staging server, that is local to the user, to perform the actual software download and installation.
This document will describe the IBM Standard Software Installer (ISSI). This electronic software distribution solution does not require that a software distribution product (e.g. Tivoli TME10 Software Distribution for xxx) be installed on the clients. This solution is the initial step towards a comprehensive Web-based electronic software distribution solution.
Easy to use interface for the end-user Automated installations
- Response file driven installations; minimized end user intervention; configuration consistency; reduced end-user install support (doc, education); reduced end-user induced errors.
- Pre-prompting for installation variables; a subset of the total variables required for the package install, predetermined values for others; end-user selects options and install proceeds without further intervention
IBM Internal Packaging Architecture Based Packages
- Delivery tool independent; Reusable for all IBM Internal solutions (TME10 SD for AIX, TME10 SD for Framework, Static and Dynamic Web, CD source installs)
Consistent technology and package install behavior across all standard client deliverables.
- Leveraged service delivery center skill - Leveraged end-user education/expectations Infrastructure
- Established package distribution process - Leverage of existing service delivery center infrastructure TCP/IP based offering Multiple servers, selected based on topological closeness to client After the 'One-time client setup' is run, all support code and configuration files that reside on the client are automatically kept current from the server
- Server targets definitions - Installer programs - Userids/Passwords for server access
Corporate-wide Web Master
Web Master Server
The Master URL is hosted by the corporate Web support organization . This will provide a single logical server presence and ta...