The IP.com Prior Art Database
English (United States)
2 pages / 223.5 KB
System and Method of automated portlet wiring discovery system .
When a user adds a portlet to their portal the system determines which existing portlets the user has on the system and attempts to wire/place it based on the current situations.
How others of the portlet have wired/placed the object.
If the users are part of the social circle of the user.
The context metadata of the portlet.
How often the portlet is visible on the screen for other users,
How other users have ranked/rated the portlet.
Type checking of portlets.
Other preferred portlets defined by the developer of the portlet.
The system can also try to find a portlet to wire to that the user doesn't have on their portal.For example:
In the example above the user has a portal with a portlet that lists names of people they know. They add a Calendar portlet to the portal. The system then determines that it cannot wire the two together. It queries the portlet database which comes back with a portlet that accepts a text input (of user name) and outputs a date wire which can connect to the calendar. When added automatically allows the user to see the birthday of a particular user.
1. The developer creates a portlet they wish others to deploy. They assign metadata tags to the portlet to define its core actions.
2. The developer exposes the related properties and actions. For each property and action they can further define metadata tags to each item to define the context of the action/property beyond the normal method.
3. The portlet creates a special action that allows one to query the metadata for the portlet, action, properties or subset of.
4. The developer completes the portlet and publishes to a portlet server. Portlet Server
1. The portlet server queries the portlet to get the metadata.
2. The metadata and its type (portlet/property/action) are stored into a database on the portlet server. The database also keeps track of the following information.
Number of users that have the portlet active.
Unique queries to the portlet for display.
Location portlet is favoured on screen.
Portlet IDs that are most common wired to this portlet.
Portlet IDs that are most common to be p...