Location: Rochester, NY
The Patent Search Analyst conducts patentability, infringement, validity, freedom-to-operate, clearance, and patent landscaping searches.
- Performs qualitative analysis of patent and non-patent technical literature
- Performs patent searches: mainly patentability, freedom to operate, with some validity, and landscape searching using patent databases provided.
- Must be able to analyze and communicate analysis of results.
- Assists sales team as a subject matter expert when called to assist in the sales process
- Seeks guidance from and collaborates with team members on IP related matters in order to produce the highest quality product possible
- Manages time and workload at the direction of management, scheduled delivery dates, and customer due dates
- Seeks training from more senior members to advance IP research skill set
- Communicate effectively with customers in determining the scope of searches and draft informative reports that clarify and summarize search results.
- Maintain proficiency with patent laws and regulations, commercial patent databases and other proprietary databases that disclose technical publications.
- Conduct long-term patent landscape studies to identify trends in a technology field, deliver competitive intelligence and identify potential research and licensing opportunities.
- Perform Evidence-Of-Use studies by analyzing products currently used in the market that may be infringing on a patent of interest.
- Perform qualitative analysis of patents and patent portfolios from a legal, technical and business perspective.
- Analyze patent file histories
- Identify potential licensees
TECHNOLOGY/ EQUIPMENT/ TOOLS
- Expert level user of commercial patent search tools and analytical software
- Expert level user of MS Office software
Education and Experience Requirements
- A minimum of a Bachelor’s degree is required in Computer Science, Computer Engineering or Electrical Engineering
- 3-5 years of Prior Art searching experience
- Research and analysis experience with a law firm, corporate IP office or search firm
- Compliance with ITAR/Export Control regulations, which can be demonstrated by US citizenship.
Skills and Competencies Requirements
- Knowledge of patent law, regulations and the MPEP
- Understands all sections of a patent, and the importance of each section from a legal prior art search perspective
- Expert in key term searching and constructing structured Boolean search queries
- Excellent attention to detail, analytical and critical thinking, proof-reading abilities, interpersonal communication and organizational skills
- Expert in reading, interpreting, and extracting key concepts from invention disclosures, patents, and technical papers
- Exceptional oral communication, written communication and customer service skills
- In-depth knowledge of technical literature in the area of subject matter expertise.
- Highly skilled developing a search methodology and in conducting searches.
- Strong time management skills and dependable in completing quality projects against deadlines.
Will allow telework from home with periodic travel required to corporate office.