We’re seeking a savvy engineering professional that understands all aspects of the product development lifecycle, with experience in research and development. The position reports to the Manager, Customer Success and will be responsible for growing revenue through technical sales support, customer onboarding, product support, and assisting with the development of future product releases. The Sales Engineer regularly interacts with our sales force and management team, providing the opportunity for great visibility.
IP.com targets the following markets:
- Intellectual Property professionals (patent attorneys, innovation leaders, university technology transfer offices, IP licensing professionals)
- Research and Development professionals and engineers
- Competitive Intelligence professionals
- Corporate Strategists
- University Research Departments
IP.com is an intellectual property solutions provider that helps organizations make complex business decisions around their innovations. Our industry-leading portfolio of services enables businesses to increase revenue, optimize operations, and manage IP risk through insightful data, analytics, and defensive publishing.
IP.com has four main product and services that assist our clients in all aspects of the innovation process from ideation through to patent maintenance and licensing:
- InnovationQ, our semantic search, and patent analysis platform
- Insight Reports, advanced analytics and intelligence reports for patents
- Prior Art Database, the world’s first and largest online disclosure service
- Professional Services team that provides intellectual property searches in support of patent prosecution, patent infringement, and clearance/freedom to operate analysis.
The Sales Engineer is a customer resource and subject matter expert primarily responsible for supporting and growing usage of IP.com products through personal engagement. Business knowledge of how IP.com solutions are relevant to client use cases is critical. The Sales Engineer will command a deep product understanding, experience with new product development processes, extensive industry knowledge. The successful candidate will have the skills to train and respond to prospect and customer questions about how to use the product to drill down, for example, on competitive intelligence, mergers and acquisitions, licensing, and patentability.
- Ensure customer expectations are properly set & provide support for technical kick-off meetings/on-boarding/training for each new customer.
- Develop and maintain a knowledge of Semantic Gist® – IP.com’s proprietary semantic search engine – for common technical questions to educate customers.
- Assist in product demonstrations, product training, and customer support for all product lines.
- Assist customers in understanding how integrating IP.com’s solutions can simplify, enhance, and optimize their workflows.
- Contribute to product development improvements by gathering requirements from customer engagement activities, use cases, and feature requests; assist with prioritization of requested features, enhancements, and bug fixes.
- Assist training materials and programs for customers and internal users, including product webinars and release update training.
- Identify opportunities for the up-sell or cross-sell of other IP.com solutions while interacting with customers.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor’s Degree is required, with a science or engineering focus.
- Master’s Degree preferred.
Skills and Competencies Requirements
- 7+ Years of experience in a product development organization, including familiarity with innovation processes.
- The experienced candidate must be able to rapidly develop a working knowledge of intellectual property management and patenting. Preferred candidates have previous experience with patents.
- Experience making presentations and recommendations to senior-level executives.
- Ability to converse on scientific and technical matters in a variety of disciplines with customers from a diverse variety of backgrounds (both technical and non-technical)
- The ability to travel worldwide (though travel is not expected to exceed 15% of total time, typically one trip per month).
- Compliance with ITAR/Export Control regulations, which can be demonstrated by US citizenship.
Benefits, Work Environment and Tools Used
- Competitive salaries
- 401(k) plan
- Work-Life balance
- Medical, Dental and Life Insurance
- Health Savings Account
- Flexible Savings Account
- Dependent Care Account
- Paid holidays, vacation and sick time
- SalesForce, Office, GoToMeeting, and Webex
IP.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer. The company and its affiliates recruit and hire qualified candidates without regard to race, religion, color, sex, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, age, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, veteran or disability status, medical condition, marital status, or any other factor prohibited by federal, state, provincial, and municipal laws.
To apply for this position, please send your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.